Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Chlamydia Infection

Chlamydia infection is caused by a specific bacteria found in semen and vaginal fluid.
The bacteria is easily passed from person to person by sexual contact.
Chlamydia infection is the commonest sexually transmitted infection today. It is commoner in younger people, but anyone who is sexually active can get it.

It usually does NOT cause any symptoms in men or women.
But sometimes there may be -
In women:
- a vaginal discharge
- pain on passing urine
- unexpected vaginal bleeding
- lower abdominal pain

And in men:
- again, pain on passing urine
- a cloudy discharge from the penis
- or painful testicles

If you have any of these symptoms you must attend a doctor or local clinic for testing.
It is important also that your partner attends.
Without any symptoms it may be important to get tested if for instance
- you have had unprotected sex with a new partner
- a sexual partner tells you they have a sexually transmitted infection
Testing involves taking a swab (like a cotton wool bud) from affected areas

Treatment is usually simple and involves a course of antibiotic tablets -- normally doxycycline. You should avoid sexual contact until both you and your partner have finished treatment.
It is important to treat chlamydia infection because if left it can spread to other parts of the body causing more long term, serious problems. In women it can involve the womb and this may lead to infertility.

If you are unsure in anyway about your sexual health then get checked out. Seek advice from your family doctor, nurse or clinic.

Builth and Llanwrtyd Medical Practice has made every effort to ensure that the information in these episodes is accurate, up to date, and as helpful as possible. However we will not be responsible for any inaccuracies or omissions.
In particular if you are unwell, it is important that you do not rely on information from the Internet - you should seek professional medical advice from your Doctor. If your condition is getting worse, or if you are seriously ill, you should call or visit your Surgery.

No comments: